1. Outline & Objective
The MITSUI-BUSSAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM FOR INDONESIA (hereinafter referred to as "the Program") was established in Tokyo, Japan, in 1992 as a non-profit foundation under the approval of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (formerly called the Ministry of Education) of Japan based upon a fund prepared by Mitsui & Co., Ltd. The Program aims to encourage Indonesian students who wish to study at universities in Japan and obtain a bachelor's degree thereby.
The objective of the Program is to support and assist the selected students (i.e., grantees) so that;
Consequently, the grantees would be able to make their best efforts in their respective fields so as to contribute to the development of Indonesia after finishing their studies in Japan, calling upon their experiences of living and studying in Japan.
Therefore, the grantees who have completed their studies in Japan under the Program would be requested to make their utmost effort to materialize the Program’s objectives, however, the grantees will be entirely free from any other obligations and duties.
- Nationality: Applicants must be citizens of the Republic of Indonesia.
- Age: Applicants must be less than twenty (20) years of age as of April 1st, 2020 and unmarried.
The grantees must remain unmarried during the tenure of their scholarship period.
- Academic Background and School Records: Applicants must have completed SMA (Senior High School) of IPA or IPS course with marks of at least eighty (80) or higher on their school records for the following subjects, of the last two consecutive semesters namely, “the 1st semester of the 3rd year and the 2nd semester of the 2nd year” but if not available, “the 1st and 2nd semesters of the 2nd year”, during SMA study period as per the chart below. Whilst the students from SMK (Sekolah Menengah Kejuruan/ Vocational school) are SMA Bahasa course are not entitled to apply for this program.
For IPA course: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English.
For IPS course: Mathematics, Economics, Geography and English.If there are different types of report scores ("Wajib" / "Peminatan"), then "Wajib" scores should be referred.
- Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to study the Japanese language and to receive university education in the Japanese language in Japan. Whilst each level of the JLPT scores (N1 - N5) shall be counted as a premium for the selection.
- Health: Applicants must be healthy, both mentally and physically, and have no infectious diseases.
3. Fields of Study
a. Study of Sciences and Engineering (4-years under-graduate course), such as;
- Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Information & Computer Science, Biology, Biophysics & Biochemistry, Geology, etc.
- Civil Engineering, Architecture, Urban Engineering, Environmental Engineering, etc.
- Mechanical Engineering, Precision Engineering, etc.
- Ship Building & Ocean Engineering, Aeronautics, etc.
- Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Information & Communication Engineering, etc.
- Metallurgy, Materials Science, etc.
- Applied Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, etc.
- Industrial Engineering, Factory & Production Management, Plant Management, etc.
- Agricultural Engineering, Forest & Fishery Science, Agricultural Chemistry, Agro biology, Food Engineering, etc.
b) Study of Social Sciences, Business and Commerce (4-years under-graduate course) such as;
- Civil Law, Public Law, Political Science, etc.
- Economic Theory, Economic History, Economic Policy, etc.
- Enterprise Management, Accounting, Commerce & Marketing, Finance, Insurance, Industrial Relations, Econometrics, International Economics, etc.
4. Tenure of Scholarship
Grantees are tenable for five years and six months (5.5 years) from October 2020 until March 2026, i.e.
|Japanese language study
|: 1.5 years (18 months)
|: 4.0 years (48 months)
|: 5.5 years (66 months)
5. Benefits Provided by the Program
The Program shall provide the following allowances and expenses only for supporting the grantees' life and studies in Japan, and any of which may be adjusted from time to time at the Trustee’s own discretion basically in accordance with the final sentence of Clause 8 (b) hereof.
The sum of 145,000 Japanese yen per month would be given to each grantee during the tenure of the scholarship.
- Transportation from Indonesia to Japan:
An economy class one-way air ticket from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport to Tokyo International Airport would be given to each grantee before his/her departure.
- Transportation from Japan to Indonesia:
An economy class one-way air ticket from Tokyo International Airport to Soekarno-Hatta International Airport would be given to each grantee who would return to Indonesia, upon submitting an application, within 1 (one) year after the expiration of the scholarship provision
The sum of 50,000 Japanese yen would be given to each grantee upon arrival in Japan.
Fees for the entrance examination and tuition at the Japanese Language Center as well as at universities would be borne by the Program.
- For the first one and half years during the period of study of the Japanese language, grantees shall reside at the dormitory of the Japanese Language Center, or a similar place designated by the Program. The cost of such accommodations shall be borne by the grantees. The Program shall provide a lodging subsidy of 5,000 Japanese yen per month per person to the grantees.
- During the period of study at universities, grantees shall reside at university dormitories, private boarding houses, or apartment houses, any of which shall be approved by the Program. The cost of such accommodations shall be borne by the grantees. Any necessary key money and/or deposit money shall be borne by the Program. The Program shall provide a lodging subsidy of 25,000 Japanese yen per month per person to the grantees.
- The cost of textbooks necessary for the curriculum at Japanese Language Center and/or universities in Japan approved by the Program shall be borne by the Program.
- Meals, local transportation charges and other expenses shall be borne by the grantees.
The Program shall prepare life insurance, aviation insurance, and accident insurance for the grantees during the period of Scholarship. (National health insurance premium in Japan shall be borne by the grantees.)
6. Application and Selection Procedures
The Program introduced an e-application system for the registration and installed its own website owing to substantially increased number of applicants received in the previous years.
Now, therefore, the applicants are kindly requested to submit necessary documents to the Program in two manners namely, firstly by the website and secondly by mail.
- Applicants shall submit the prescribed application form and other documents as requested below from January 20th (Monday) to not later than February 21st (Friday), 2020 to the designated domain of the website and address of PERSADA as mentioned below, where the prescribed application form is obtainable.
c/o Kampus Universitas Darma Persada (UNSADA)
Jl. Radin Inten II (Terusan Casablanca), Pondok Kelapa,
Jakarta Timur 13450 , Indonesia
Telephone: (021) 8647373
Facsimile: (021) 86900241
- Application documents to be submitted:
- Fill in the application form prescribed in the website ( www.mbkscholarship-id.com ) based upon instructions thereby.
- Photocopy of the application form after filling in necessary data on website indicating the applicant’s registration number…………………………………………………...1 copy
- Photograph (portrait) 4 cm x 3 cm taken within the past 6 months. …………. 2 copies
- Certified school records for all terms and semesters of 1st , 2nd and 3rd school years issued by SMA……………………………………………………………………… ……….1 copy
If the school record for the 2nd semester of the 3rd year has not been issued yet, certified school records until the 1st semester of the 3rd year should be submitted.
- Photocopy of the result of Nilai Ujian Akhir Nasional, if it had already been issued ………………………………………………………………………………………….1 copy
- Recommendation letter issued by the principal of the SMA in English………...1 copy
- Registration number of each applicant should be indicated clearly in typewriting or clear handwriting on the envelope enclosing the necessary documents to be submitted to the Program, hence the envelope without the registration number is not accepted.
- If there is any deficiency to the application documents, the application is not accepted.
Selection process shall be conducted as indicated in the chart below in a strict and fair manner based upon the standards and rules of the Program, by taking all data and test results into the consideration. There shall be no interference with the selection process.
Closing date of Application: February 21 (Friday), 2020
P a s s e d
Written examination (Mathematics & English)
Held on April 5 (Sunday) 2020 at Darma Persada University
P a s s e d
Aptitude test: April 29 (Wednesday) 2020 at University of Indonesia
Health check: April 30 (Thursday) 2020 at RUMAH SAKIT JAKARTA
P a s s e d
Interview by the Managing Committee of the Program
Held on June 16 (Tuesday), 2020 at PT. Mitsui Indonesia Office
P a s s e d
Applicants whose qualifications have been acknowledged by the Program through the screening of application documents would receive an invitation to take a written examination at a particular time and the details of the 1st selection procedure by e-mail.
- 1st Selection
Written examination would be carried out on the designated date and at the designated place in Jakarta. Applicants must show invitation E-Mail as proof, if his/her name is not in the exam list.
- 2nd Selection
Applicants who passed the 1st selection must submit the additional documents described below.
Address and the closing date for the additional documents to be submitted would be informed later by the Program.
<Additional documents to be submitted>
- Attested copy of SMA diploma together with attested copy of Nilai Ujian Akhir Nasional ….………………………………………………………………………………………. 1 copy
- Copy of identification card (KTP) or Student Card (Kartu Pelajar) is acceptable if the applicants do not have KTP.…….……………………….…………….………………1 copy
- Letter of agreement signed by parents or guardians in English ….……………… 1 copy
- Certificate of TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, JLPT or any other certificate issued by an internationally well-known language institution, if any…………………. .… 1 copy each
- Certificate of award or commendation issued by an internationally well-known organization, if any……………………………………………………………… 1 copy each
Result of the 2nd selection would be made after an aptitude test and health check.
These tests would be carried out for the purpose of checking fitness to live in the Japanese society taking applicants’ adaptation capability in various aspects including culture, language, daily life, self-supporting, etc. into consideration hence result of which is effective to clear the 2nd selection.
Respective dates and places for the aptitude test and the health check are as per mentioned on the above 6 (b) Selection Process. Precise hours and address of the 2nd selection would be informed from the Program to the applicants who passed the 1st Selection.
- 3rd Selection
Applicants who passed the 2nd selection would proceed to an interview carried out by the Managing Committee of the Program as the final selection.
Date and place for the interview are as per mentioned on the above 6 (b) Selection Process. Precise hours and address of the 3rd selection would be informed from the Program to the applicants who passed the 2nd Selection.
None of the submitted documents would be returned.
Examination and test of 1st Selection, 2nd Selection and 3rd Selection are free of charge, but the expenses such as travel, lodging and others, if any related to the selection procedure shall be borne by the applicants.
All of the application documents and data submitted to the Program, and the expenses borne by the applicants until termination of the final qualification shall be at the responsibility of the applicants.
The Program would send written announcements about the selection result only to the successful applicants (grantees). Inquiries about the result of the selection process would not be disclosed and not to be answered to the applicants.
Applicants who have passed 3rd Selection (i.e., the final selection) would be called grantees, and receive in Jakarta a preliminary education in elementary Japanese language and orientation on topics such as Japanese life, climate, customs, manners, etc. for about one (1) month before leaving for Japan. Cost of such education and orientation would be borne by the Program. Whilst for grantees whose domicile is outside Jabodetabek area, the lodging expenses (boarding house) and transportation fee (between his/her hometown and Jakarta) to attend the pre-departure training program would be borne by the program.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, for the applicants who passed the 2nd Selection while those who could not become the grantee, there is a possibility that a certain entity (e.g. PERSADA) appoints and recommends one of those applicants to another scholarship program such as the program prepared by the Japanese Government subject to the applicant’s agreement. Precise details of the other program shall be provided by a certain entity (e.g. PERSADA) upon the applicant’s prior consent namely, if anyone of those applicants so wish.
Also for the applicants who took the written examination while those who could not proceed to the 2nd selection, there is a possibility that any of the Japanese universities or organizations invites one of those applicants to apply for its proper program studying in Japan subject to the applicant’s agreement. Precise details of such program shall be provided directly by principal of such program upon the applicant’s prior consent namely, if anyone of those applicants so wish.
7. Placement at Universities in Japan and Major Fields of Study
Placement of the grantees at universities and in their major fields of study in Japan shall be finally approved by the Program after taking the grantees’ wishes and related records into consideration, before the grantees take the entrance examinations of the universities.
Change of major or field of study after entrance to a selected university will not be allowed.
8. Duties during Scholarship Program
The Grantee shall submit to the Trustee a record of academic achievement at the end of each school term and a status report on his/her studies and life periodically in a form and substance acceptable to the Trustee.
The primary focus of the Grantee shall be on educational endeavors during the term hereof. Accordingly, the Grantee may not work, earn a profit or commercial benefit of any kind or character, or perform any types of compensated services for any employer or person during his/her stay in Japan, with or without compensation, except after having obtained the prior written approval of the Trustee in each case. In the event that the Grantee nevertheless receives any direct or indirect compensation or economic profit in violation of this Clause 8 (b), the Trustee may freely adjust any of the subsidies and benefits provided under this Agreement in its sole discretion.
Grantee shall be deprived of his/her scholarship and required to return to Indonesia in any of the following cases.
Any false statement has been made on the application dossier.
Any article of the grantee's pledge to the Program is violated
The grantee faces difficulty in continuation of his/her studies due to health reasons.
The grantee violates rules and regulations of the Japanese Language Center and/or universities as well as laws and regulations of Japan.
The grantee has no promise for academic achievement within the designated period (e.g., failure to achieve a satisfactory level in the Japanese language or in his/her major subject).
Entrance to and graduation from university in Japan could only be achieved by the efforts and endeavor of the grantee himself/herself, and the Program is not in a position to guarantee such entrance and graduation, although the utmost support and assistance would be given.
Jakarta, 6 January 2020
MITSUI-BUSSAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM FOR INDONESIA
- The liaison office in Indonesia
PERSADA c/o Kampus Universitas Darma Persada (UNSADA)
Jl. Radin Inten II (Terusan Casablanca), Pondok Kelapa,
Jakarta Timur 13450, Indonesia
Telephone: (021) 8647373
Facsimile: (021) 86900241
- The secretariat (liaison) office in Japan
Mitsui-Bussan Scholarship Program for Indonesia
c/o Public Foundation Mitsui Bussan Boekishoreikai
10-2, Nihonbashi-Ningyocho 3-chome, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 103-0013, Japan
Telephone: (81-3) 5847-8925
Facsimile: (81-3) 5847-8929